So, you've purchased one of our WordPress themes! I bet you're excited to get started so let's install your new theme!
If you are new to WordPress, check out our WordPress 101 tutorials packed with 23 super helpful videos.
Step 1: Unzip Download Folder
1. Unzip (extract) the download folder you received after purchasing your theme.
2. Find the theme folder. The theme folder will have the name: prima-donna.zip
DO NOT unzip this folder.
NOTE: Prima Donna is a Genesis Child theme. Make sure you have the Genesis Framework installed on your site or Prima Donna will not work.
The Genesis theme looks like: genesis.#.#.#.zip (ex. genesis.2.4.2.zip)
Genesis can be installed the exact same way as a normal theme (see Step 2).
Step 2: Install the Theme
Learn how to install your new theme by following the video below or the step-by-step directions further down the page.
1. Within your WordPress Dashboard, navigate to Appearance > Themes.
2. Click the "Add New" button at the top-left of the page > Click the "Upload Theme" button at the top.
3. Click "Choose File" > find your zipped theme file on your computer > Click the "Install Now" button.
4. When the theme installs successfully, you will see the following screen:
5. Click the Activate link to activate the theme and start setup.
That's it, you're ready to set up your new theme!
The most common install error looks like this:
This generally happens when you forgot to unzip the original download file. Make sure you have unzipped the file and are uploading the theme .zip file.
Sometimes WordPress dumps the default widgets in the first available widget area. In this theme, that is the Header Right widget area. If after install, your site ends up looking like this:
Go to Appearance > Widgets on the Dashboard.
Find the Header Right widget area and remove any widgets from this area.
To Continue installing your theme, click on the next link in the left sidebar, Install Recommended Plugins.