How do I upgrade my Blogger Template?
On occasion, we will issue Blogger template upgrades to fix bugs or add new features. This guide will help you upgrade to a newer or different version of the template without losing all your current template settings.
P.S. Did you know we offer free Upgrades? If you purchased through Creative Market or our shop at Georgia Lou Studios you will automatically receive an email to notify you when a new version is available for download. If you purchased through Etsy, please sign up for email notices on our Free Upgrades page.
1. Backup your current template
- Log in to your Blogger Dashboard.
- Go to the Theme configuration page.
- Click on the Backup/Restore button in the top right hand corner of the screen. The Template > Backup/Restore box will open up.
- To backup your current template, click on the orange Download full template button. Your template will download to your computer’s download folder with a name like template-##############. If want to restore your old template at any time you can upload this file using the Backup/Restore feature.d
Record your current theme settings
- NOTE: When you install a different template version or re-install a theme, all Blogger Theme Designer settings will be reset to the template defaults, SO…
- If you made any changes to the template you will need to make note of any settings you would like to re-create in the Blogger theme Designer. This includes any code added in the Add CSS section.
- If you added any code directly to the HTML code, you will want to copy and paste it into a text file so you can add it back again.
- Now you are ready to re-install or install a different version of the theme.
Upload your new theme version
- In the same Theme configuration theme, click on the Backup/Restore button in the top right hand corner of the screen.
- In the Theme > Backup/Restore box, click on the Browse button.
- From you computer files, choose your Blogger template to upload. Make sure you are selecting the .xml file. Click the Upload button.
- You’ll see a little spinner next to the Upload button while your template uploads. If there are any template errors, they will appear in the Template > Backup/Restore box. If your upload is successful, you will be returned to the Template configuration page and a little message, Uploaded successfully will flash at the top of the window.
Updated menus & gadgets
The updated templates (version 2.0 vs. older versions) use a different menu gadget. You will need to Remove the old menu and instead use the updated menu. The old menu will not have proper styles applied to it. If you need help figuring out which is the new menu, open the configuration window by clicking on the edit link. The new menu is a Link List. The old menu was a Page List.
Some gadgets may be installed as an updated version. You may need to transfer settings to the new gadget. Your old gadgets will remain in place but will not have the correct styling generally. Remove these gadgets and use the newer versions. Setup instructions are included with the template file.