The Savannah Blogger template offers a unique post layout on the home and archive pages that displays the first post as full width with an image and excerpt (length customizable) followed by grid style post excerpts for the rest of the posts.
- The "grid" posts on this template use an automatic excerpt and "Read More" button.
- For the first, full width post, a flexible excerpt is used.
- This means you can set the excerpt length by adding a Jump Link to insert a "Read More" button.
- Note: It is recommended you add a Jump Link to each post. The content of the full width post is an excerpt and will not show any images past the first image. This is the only way to accomplish the Featured Image above the post title on this layout for a consistent look.
To add the "Read More" button to the first post:
- From your Blogger Dashboard, go into the Post edit screen.
- Scroll down to the point where you want to insert your Jump Break and left-click to place your cursor.
- In the top Post edit toolbar is a small icon that looks like a piece of torn paper, the“Insert jump break” button. Click this button to insert a jump break.
- A dashed line will appear in your post text to show where the jump break has been inserted. This will not affect your post content on the single page, but will create an excerpt post with “Read More” link on your Home page.
- Click the orange Update button to update your post or Save for new posts.
Grid Image Sizes
The images in the home page grid and on archive pages are at a ratio of 1.28:1 or roughly 4:3. Sizes that work well without getting cropped too much include 800px wide by 600px tall.