- In the Layout configuration page, choose the sidebar where you would like to install the gadget and click on the Add a gadget link.
- Enter a title for your gadget in the Title box.
- Open the recent_posts_gadget.txt file included in the Widgets folder inside the template file that you downloaded.
- Copy and paste all the contents of the recent posts file into the Content section of the configure window.
- Click the orange Save button.
You can configure several settings for the Recent Posts gadget. Settings are changed directly in the code of the recent_posts_gadget.txt file.
The following options can be changes:
- Number of posts: Find the “var numposts = 3;” code; change the number to your desired number of posts to show.
- Show thumbnails: Find the “var showpostthumbnails = true;” code; to hide the post pictures, change true to false.
- Display “More” link: Find the “var displaymore = false;” code; to display the “More” link, change false to true.
- Show comments number/link to comment form: Find the “var showcommentnum = false;” code; to display the comments link, change false to true.
- Show the post date: Find the “var showpostdate = false;” code; to display the post date, change false to true.
- Show post summary: Find the “var showpostsummary = true;” code; to hide the post summary/excerpt, change true to false.
- Post summary length: Find the “var numchars = 50;” code; to change the length of the post summary, change the 50 to any number of your choosing. This is the number of letters/spaces in the post summary.